I seem to remember that the A basso crook did not exist and that the 19th
century parts would have been played on valve horns and transposed by the
players. I'm not 100% certain on this. As suggested, the tessitura may be a
guide and also the chord structure. Without seeing the score I'd be inclined to
go for A alto.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Sent from my iPhone