On 20.09.2014 10:08, trumpe...@verizon.net wrote:
> Hello all. I'm having a problem with writing chord symbols in piano
> or
>    guitar parts with rhythmic notation. For example, if I'm writing
> in bass
>    clef and write the rhythms on the third line D, when it plays
> back, I keep
>    hearing a D even though I've applied staff styles to rhythmic
> notation or
>    percussive notation. I'm trying to avoid going to studio view and
> muting the
>    piano part. Any suggestions? I'm using Windows 7 and Finale 2012.
>
>    Thanks in advance.

I would create an expression to mute the channel and then it can be
unmuted with another expression later if desired.  In the expression
playback setting, choose Controller in the Type box, select controller 7
- Volume and set the value to zero. (To unmute it set the value to 127).
Muting will work OK if the text is hidden.

This works with MIDI playback, I don't know if it will work with VST
instruments.  You don't say which you are using.