There was a recent conversation in one of the mailing lists of which I am a
member (possibly this one) where it was stated that these "daggers" have
nothing to do with the length of the note but that they indicate that the
notes should be given equal weight (as opposed to a strong first beat) and
that this indication continued beyond the baroque into the early romantic
period.

Can anyone offer anything to support or refute this?

Cheers,

Lawrence

--
Lawrenceyates.co.uk