Finale 2014 on Windows 8.1 has so far been happy to open all the F2004
files I have thrown at it.  However, it has variable reactions to
earlier ones, including .bak ones that were the only versions of some
pieces that survived my main computer's hard disk crash.   In
particular, the "open" command refuses to show them on a folder listing
with the message "Files of type: All Readable Files". However, if I
select "all files", .bak files are displayed.  Some of these load as
correctly as can be expected; others (pre-F2000?) result in the display
of some messages, of which the last is Windows telling me that Finale
2014 has stopped working.  Is this bug known? and is MakeMusic doing
anything about it.

As a matter of principle, a program ought not to crash whatever data is
presented to it, though of course it can't be expected to make sense of
everything.

Ken Moore
Berkshire
England