Thanks David and Dennis,
I have tried removing progressively more and more using the edit filter,
eventually all markings and all MIDI data, but still no luck.  I can't
think of anything else worth removing, but if I copy just the notes, I
might as well start from scratch.  Fortunately, in this case that is not
such a big deal, but I can imagine it would be a nightmare if I had
gotten further into the work before encountering the problem.
Regards,
Michael