I would second everything Dennis has said.

Finale offers you a zillion separate "verses". I find it helpful to maximum use
of them, both for different voices AND different sections of the piece.

On rare occasions I'll use the same lyrics "verse" for more than one voice, but
only if I'm 100% sure they'll be 100% homophonic with not even minor rhythmic
variation. Otherwise, every lyric syllable in the Edit Lyrics box has only one
assignment.

I always use click-assign for my initial lyric entry.  When making touch-ups,
type-in-score is fine for editing individual syllables.  It's also reliable for
inserting syllables IF you make sure to first select the previous syllable to
be sure you're in the right voice/verse and then tab forward to where you want
to insert.  But you definitely shouldn't use type-in-score to just hop about
the page adding syllables willy nilly.  That's asking for trouble.

Any time I have non-trivial edits to make to lyrics, I just clear out the whole
section and do a fresh click-assignment. As long as the verse isn't too long
(another reason to make generous use of the verses available) it's easy enough
to do, and much cleaner than doing a bunch of individual edits that might
bugger up the order in the Edit Lyrics box.

mdl