On 6/20/2015 1:12 AM, Col Bernau wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Some years ago in this group there was a really interesting and learned
> discussion on scales. Unfortunately for me that was several computers
> and email programs ago. The number of scales that sticks in my head is
> 384 unique scales. Does anyone remember the discussion, or even still
> have it? I'd love to have a look at it again, and this time archive it.

I don't recall that discussion and I just checked on this computer and I
don't have those messages (probably the discussion predated my use of
this computer, same as you) but these two pages at wikipedia are very
informative.  The first is a discussion about different scales (although
not very in-depth) and the second is a list which shows the scale based
on C and also provides the formula for creating that scale along with
some other information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_%28music%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_scales_and_modes

I hope this helps.