Regarding my cases of instruments getting too quiet, i have always
suspected spurious MIDI data.  But I recently went to the trouble of
building my whole score from scratch, then doing a copy in of just the
notes, not any of the MIDI data.  And the problem soon returned (after
just a few minutes)

A shutdown and restart of MIDI doesn't clear it.  The only thing I have
found that clears the condition is to go into the Aria panel and EMPTY
the instrument, then load it again.  Simply RELOADing does not clear it.

And here is a curious observation.  The problem happens most often on
Trombone 3.  It is possible that it ONLY happens on Trombone 3, as there
may have been good explanations for any volume issues on other
instruments (mute keyswitches on, etc)  I switched to the JABB3 Trombone
4 sounds and so far have not had the problem at all.