They are not exactly the same, I think.  With the Tempo choice from
the MIDI menu you need to select a partial measure to change the tempo
for say, one beat only; then back to the score to make another partial
measure selection for the next beat, to resume the previous tempo.
With the Tempo Tool you click the meaure and get a window in which you
can determine the exact point in the measure to apply the tempo change
in EDUs as well as beats. Seems to me the Tempo Tool is more
practical--selecting partial measures is kind of awkward thing to do.
to me-- unless I am missing something.

Harold