Robert Patterson has brought this up many times, and I can attest to the fact
that it does indeed work:

Run an older version of Mac OS on a virtual machine using Parallels (my app of
choice) or Fusion.  I have a VM with OS X Mountain Lion and I run a couple of
older versions of Finale for those times when I absolutely need it.

Granted you have to purchase another commercial application, but the viable
option is there.

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios