You could create a new 8va Smart Shape and change the continuation setting for
them.  But then you would have to replace all of them manually.  Not fun if
there’s many of them.  I thought one could edit the default appearance to
these, but I just checked and couldn’t find a way in.

I would try to lobby the client into realizing how wrong he is.  But then…

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios