David, thanks very much.

On Thu, July 13, 2017 3:32 pm, David H. Bailey wrote:
> WASAPI is an audio output protocol.  Most computers have several
> different ones installed -- my Win10 machine has WASAPI as well as
> WindowsDirectSound.  As long as there's one or another (like ASIO4ALL)
> that Finale25 will be able to interact with you'll be fine.

I have four protocols. ASIO (for Saffire) is what I generally use.

> Finale25 doesn't like my WASAPI either -- you can get around it though
> by starting Finale25 without WASAPI and then going to the MIDI/Audio
> menu and selecting Device Setup and then Audio Setup.  In the dialog
> that pops up if you click the down-triangle at the right of the entry
> for Audio Driver you will see the list (including WASAPI possibly) of
> possible entries.  Mine show DirectSound and ASIO as well as WASAPI.
> Selecting WASAPI on my machine gets the same error message you saw on
> your machine.

Okay. I will try this. I just didn't want it disabling a core component for
other software.

So does this mean that Finale's crash is only related to its own (non-)use of
WASAPI? I ran another dozen pieces of audio software, and none are using
WASAPI. In fact, only one (Audacity) even has it as an option.

> For some reason Fin25 just doesn't like WASAPI -- so don't let it use
> it.

Odd situation, it seems, since this is the latest Microsoft protocol and has
the best reviews among pro audio folks.

Thanks again,