The word you’re looking for is „Probestück“ (das, plural Probestücke). These
were the compositions which composers routinely sent with their applications
for a new position – and were subsequently often asked to perform at their
prospective workplace if they made the cut.
Hope this helps.
Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
webmas...@habsburgerverlag.de