On 8/8/2018 9:42 PM, Jon Delfin wrote:
What's to discuss? So far, all we have is a version number and press
release puffery.

[snip]

My thoughts exactly -- it read to me as if they hadn't even come close at all to having a version ready for alpha testing, let alone beta testing and then final release (the *real* beta-testing for Finale). It's as if the people who put out that release had any idea what might actually be included in the new version.

It's almost as if they are afraid of the inroads that Dorico is making in the notation software world and wanted us all to know that they haven't abandoned development of Finale as some of us have suggested. It's obvious that they're more interested in SmartMusic and its annual subscription model that's attractive to school music programs to aid in assessing student progress in order to assign grades based on empirical performance skills.

Sort of a "wait, wait, don't jump ship yet, we really will have a new version coming. Someday."

There was nothing at all of any substance beside the version number. It will be interesting to see how frequently they send out similar messages which might actually include real information to help whet our appetites to know what might actually be coming.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

--
*****
David H. Bailey