this discrepancy seems to have been because i was using hidden noteheads (via
JW change/noteheads/visibility), did some tests with different sizes of blank
noteheads in my fonts and can find a workable solution.

was using hidden noteheads and stems for very specific situations where the
spacing shouldn't be affected by them but needed something there for enhanced
beam extension control.  so "hiding" them in speedy wasn't an option.

but still wrong that the visualization in finale didn't correspond to the
output!!!

--
neueweise -- fonts for new music and traditional notation
http://newmusicnotation.com/fonts