Like I said, I'm not sure where the link is that I used several years ago to
fix this problem. When I had this issue I thought all of the same thoughts you
expressed about "pinging", network issue (or non-issues) and drivers but like I
said, it was all resolved when transporting the printer settings from a machine
in my office that already worked with the printer, which it sounds like you
have another machine that currently does. BTW-it doesn't matter if the other
machine is an older OS.

I"ll try to give you a step by step but I don't really know your setup:

1. The machine that can still print to the HP - put that in Target Mode.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

https://www.howtogeek.com/214322/how-to-boot-your-mac-in-target-disk-mode-for-easy-file-transfers/

2. On your Mojave machine open Migration Assistant.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

3. Select "From a Mac..."

4. Select the machine you have in target mode.

5. Input the security code that may come up.

6. Uncheck all of the items to transfer. Go to the bottom where it says
"Computer & Network Settings" and open the arrow.

7. Select Printer settings.

8. Click Continue.

That should bring your old printer settings over, even if it's coming from an
older OS. Once you've done this, your printer should work. I'm not sure what's
missing or what was different in the transfer but I was very surprised after
days of tearing my hair out that it "just worked." After I got it setup, I did
updated in a long time.

Good luck.
Steve Fiskum