On 5/30/2019 5:14 AM, Paolo Alberto Rismondo wrote:
Hi,

we are dealing with arithmetic, not even with mathematics; 3+3=6, no matter what you can 'feel'. The musical expression comes through the notation, but it is not the notation.

How do you feel about 8th-note triplets in music where the quarter note gets the beat?

After all, following your logic it makes no sense because 3 8th-notes equal a dotted-quarter and after all you tell us that we are dealing with arithmetic. Your last sentence in the part I quoted has no special bearing in this particular situation -- it's true of all musical notation. Musical notation is only a graphical set of instructions of what we hope to hear from the musicians. It's a set of instructions, not the final sound. That's true of all notation, whether tuplets or not.

Yes, 3+3=6 (in Giovanni's example) -- but the very nature of tuplets asks us to play a certain amount of music in the time usually occupied by a different amount of music. I don't understand your aversion to this particular tuplet, unless you have an aversion to all tuplets because the arithmetic never adds up correctly until you take the ratio of the tuplet into account. The very common 8th-note triplet in music where the quarter-note gets one beat is actually a 3:2 ratio, just as Giovanni's example is 6:5. But with triplets being so common, tradition has us simply marking the notes with a 3, with the 3:2 ratio being understood.

--
*****
David H. Bailey