I'm with you, David.  I am certain this worked in the past.  I just tried it with 25.5 and it does not work -- my results are as John Robert described.

I have only 25.5 installed on my computer and haven't really used it for almost a year.  So I can't say what version last worked in this regard.  I am pretty sure 2012 worked. at least as far as allowing you to stretch the bracket in scroll mode and display the bracket correctly in page layout.  But even when it "worked" it was still really crappy.  It was difficult to get the brackets to line up correctly, so most scores looked very unprofessional if they had endings more than a couple of measures.  One would have thought sometime in the 30-year history of the product they would have fixed this.

If having endings look correct is important, I'd strongly suggest switching to a product that does them correctly and automatically.