On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Riccardo Gusso wrote:

> I've tried to run xmms in Xdarwin; it seems to play mp3 but I can't hear
> any sound as output, and after 30 seconds it stops to play. I've read
> somewhere about the fact that esound is needed to have sound. I have
> installed it, as I can see from dselect; so is there anything else I am
> missing?

I -think- you need to enable sound in one of the X managers, such as the
Window Manager. I have it working in XDarwin by running Gnome Midnight
Commander and telling it to turn sound use on:

    gmc --enable-sound &

Though honestly I forget if sound was working before I tried that. I don't
think it was but could be wrong. In any event, with that command I get the
right daemons running that way:

    % ps ax | egrep '\<(gmc|esd)\>'
     5049  ??  S      0:25.53 gmc --enable-sound
     5065  ??  Ss     2:28.78 esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnpid 5052

You might be able to run that second line manually... *shrug*

--
Chris Devers                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/