On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Patrick Hurh wrote:

> From: Patrick Hurh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fnal? Ahh, Fermilab! Cool! :)

> ps A very general question. The response of my computer for graphical
> things (moving windows etc...) seems very slow when using XDarwin. Is
> this just the overhead of running sawfish and gnome? Or a limitation of
> XFree86 or what? Obviously the mac osX seems to have no problem blitting
> to the screen very fast.

Interesting. Personally it feels the opposite to me -- X11 feels snappier
than Aqua to me. If you're exclusively using X-Windows and you want it to
run a bit faster, you may want to login to your system as ">console". This
shuts down the normal Aqua windowserver, and drops you into an oldschool
BSD style console login prompt. Once you've logged in this way, you can
type "startx" [plus whatever params] to fire up a fullscreen X11 session
that, because it isn't running along side Aqua, might be a bit faster.

The catch is that, without the Aqua windowserver running, you can't launch
any of the standard OSX Aqua graphical applications -- just the command
line & X11 stuff -- at which point one could ask "well why bother using
OSX at all then, why not just use Linux". Ignore such questions. :)

Going back towards your points, yeah there is a bit of overhead in running
Gnome along with whatever window manager, but it seems like -- I haven't
measured this or anything -- there's almost no way the overhead of doing
that can be as high as all the advanced graphical trickery that is going
on with Quartz. X11 is very crude by comparison, but for that exact reason
it seems like it ought to be a lot snappier in many contexts.

--
Chris Devers                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/

"More war soon. You know how it is."    -- mnftiu.cc