I don't know all that much on x86 Debian, so a couple of the questions
I leave unanswered.

On torsdag, aug 15, 2002, at 05:30 Europe/Stockholm, Rogério Brito
wrote:

>       1 - For instance, I would like to install some packages that
>           are newer than those available in the latest release of
>           fink, but does this mean that I have to grab the sources
>           for them and compile them? Aren't they available in binary
>           form?
>
>           I'm asking this because some of them take quite a lot of
>           time to compile and probably other people have already
>           compiled the things which I would like to have.
>
>       2 - Connected to the question above, I must confess that I
>           don't completely understand why fink uses both "apt-get"
>           and "fink".  Wouldn't "apt-get source <package>" work for
>           building packages from source? That's what I usually use
>           with Debian...

That's answered by:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php#bindist

>       5 - Connected to the apt-move question, what is the
>           recommended way for creating a local mirror of the
>           packages for burning them on a CD for disconnected
>           computers?

I don't know of a specific recommended way to do it, but there have
been several discussions about it on this and the fink-users lists, so
you go dig in the archives and you'll find a host of alternatives...

Best,

Oscar Erlandsson
---
Oscar Erlandsson [erlandsson at mac dot com]