Hi Daniel and Chia,

This was indeed the problem.  I had the Developer Tools installed, but
they were vintage April.  Apparently, the upgrade to Jaguar broke them.
That was why gcc did not work.

So, I updated the Developer Tools to the July, and then August versions.
After that, I was able to run "fink self-update" with no problem.

Having successfully completed "fink self-update," I returned to my main
goal, which was getting latex2html working.  There have been sporadic
posts on this list since February comiserating about the difficulty of
doing this.  From these, I gathered that one needs to run "fink install
system-tetex," followed by "fink install latex2html."  I did this, and I
am pleased to report that latex2html works without a hitch.

I notice that other posters are wary of conflicts between Jaguar and
Fink.  Apparently, I am the fool who rushed in where angels fear to
tread.  So far, I haven't noticed a problem, but will let you know
if/when I encounter one.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Bruce Boghosian

| Prof. Bruce M. Boghosian                            |
| Department of Mathematics, Tufts University         |
| 211 Bromfield-Pearson Hall, Medford, MA  02155      |
| (617) 627-3054 (office), (617) 627-3966 (fax)       |