> Odd.  I have tar 1.13.25 on my Jag system, and that's the stable version
> for 10.2.  Can you do a 'fink update tar'?

fails with the same error. then i tried sudo apt-get upgrade tar which
also failed, but sudo apt-get install tar worked. now the tar version is
1.13.25 on my system, but whenever i try to install anything with fink,
the whole thing compiles fine and then it tries to create a .deb and fails
with the illegal option -- T.
i've no idea why this should be happening. i guess i could do a clean
install, but i'd like to figure out what's wrong.

thanks,

vasisht