Check and see if you have all of the following packages installed:

xfree86-base-threaded
xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs
xfree86-rootless-threaded
xfree86-rootless-threaded-shlibs

(xfree86-server has been superseded, because the rootless package is
stable)

Install any of these that you are missing.

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 15:52, Birdy Complex wrote:
> XDarwin won't start up. Please help. My goal is to get Gnome working. I've
> done this before, so I don't know why I'm having so much difficulty now!
>
> I have a b&w G3 running OS X 10.2. I've installed and set up the Jaguar
> version of Fink and updated it (most recently today at noon).
>
> I've installed XFree86-base-threaded. I tried installing XFree86-server,
> which I figured I"d need, but Fink tells me no such package exists.
>
> I tried running "startx -- -quartz" like everyone tells you, but this
> command (apparently) doesn't exist on my system. Looking at the
> /usr/X11R6/bin directory, I see these files:
>
> bash-2.05a$ ls -l
> total 6968
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin       14 Dec  4 21:19 X -> XDarwinStartup
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  3447428 Dec  4 21:04 XDarwin
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin       48 Dec  4 21:19 XDarwinQuartz ->
> /Applications/XDarwin.app/Contents/MacOS/XDarwin
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin    11792 Dec  4 21:04 XDarwinStartup
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin    46132 Dec  4 21:04 dumpkeymap
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin    21936 Dec  4 21:04 glxgears
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin    21448 Dec  4 21:04 glxinfo
>
> When I try to run XDarwin, I get the following:
>
> bash-2.05a$ XDarwinStartup -quartz
> 2002-12-06 15:38:46.197 XDarwin[713]
> XDarwin 1.1.1.1
> Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.
>
> This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
> way.  Bugs may be reported to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and patches submitted
> to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
> please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
> (http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)
>
> XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 October 2002
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
>         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Operating System: Darwin
> Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
> Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'
> Display mode: Full screen Quartz
> Screen 0 added: 1024x768 @ (0,0)
> error opening security policy file
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
> [...]
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213