My recollection is that the MacGimp installer used an old version of
fink, which could lead to later confusion when you install a new
version.

Removing /sw, installing fink, then using fink to install the GIMP is
indeed the right way to go.

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 18:09, Tim Flood wrote:
> I just downloaded the Fink installer package, and the README indicates
> that the the installation should not be used if MacGimp is installed.
> The README does not indicate what should be done as an alternative.
>
> I notice that MacGimp was installed in the /sw directory, and Fink
> installs in the same directory.  I'm assuming that this is the cause
> for the warning.  Would it be advisable to remove the /sw directory,
> install Fink, and then use Fink to install the Gimp?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213