On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:53  PM, Manuel Bardiès wrote:

This probably is a trivial question, but...
I need to port a soft that works on unix platforms to MacOs.
Since Os X is a unix, it should not be a problem, but if that was THAT easy, this forum would not exist...
In the install script, it is said that my program needs gmake.
I understand this is gnumake (?), but is 'our' make equivalent or do I have to install some 'extra' bits on my system?
I use Os X 1.2.3 with Dec 2002 dev tools and Fink.
Fink also proposes a 'make' package. If I look the info window, it points to gnu. Is that make equivalent to gnumake i.e. gmake?

make is an symlink to either gnumake (GNU make 3.79), or bsdmake. Fink supplies the GNU variant. "gmake" is the common name of "GNU make" on most bsd systems.

You should be able to determine which variant 'make' points to by using
ls -l `which make`

Jeremy