I downloaded and installed XFree86 using dselect yesterday. I had to install twice because during the first install process I was told that I had to delete my old X11 folders/files and reinstall (which I did before the second install). Everything appeared to proceed normally. However, when I attempted to run XDarwin from my Applications folder it gave me the choice of full screen or rootless mode but whatever mode I did it booted and then quit without giving me a screen. I then tried the following from my terminal:

[Julian-Woodss-Computer:/usr/local/lib] jfwoods% exec startx

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display. Possible server names include:

XFree86 XFree86 displays
XDarwin Darwin/Mac OS X IOKit displays
XDarwinQuartz Mac OS X Quartz displays
XDarwinStartup Auto-select between XDarwin and XDarwinQuartz

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
[Process completed]

The terminal froze after writing 'Process completed'. I obviously have some problem with $PATH and xinit.

How do I resolve?