BTW, thanks so mcuh for this site, it's been invaluable.  I am not
completely there but I'm definitely on the road, things are progressing.
(compiling)

On 1/14/04 6:19 AM this was written:

> I would recommend you check out this page, as it outlines the common
> problems associated with upgrading fink as they relate to x11.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/finpan.html
>
> Sean
>

> On 1/14/04 1:58 AM, "Martin Costabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Thomas Deliduka wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, now I'm getting this:
>>>
>>> It first lists all the packages and says that system-xfree86 will be
>>> removed. Then I have the rest here (notice it says it ignored a request to
>>> remove system-xfree86 because it's not installed, one part of the system
>>> thinks it's in, another thinks it's not):
>>>
>>> 0 packages upgraded, 193 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 0B/199MB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>>> dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove system-xfree86 which isn't
>>> installed.
>>> Selecting previously deselected package xfree86-shlibs.
>>
>> Stop right there. Under no circumstances you should allow that it tries
>> to install xfree86-shlibs (unless, of course, you wnat to give up your
>> Apple X11 installation and install a fink-built xfree86). I cannot guess
>> now why it wants to install it, but you have to find out this out first.
>> As long as it wants to install this, you won't get any further.
>>
>> You can do "sudo apt-get upgrade -u" so that it shows you the list of
>> pacakges it wants to install, then install them one by one until you
>> find the one that wants to pull in xfree86-shlibs. If you really have
>> the two Apple X11 packages installed and your distribution is set to
>> 10.3, then *no* package has the right to do this.
>>
>> --
>> Martin

Regards,

Thomas Deliduka
The Crazy Duke

- - - ------------------------------------------
  "Christ held Himself in His hands when He gave His Body to
  His disciples saying: 'This is My Body.' No one partakes of
  this Flesh before he has adored it."
                                  ~St. Augustine

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://webcam.fromtheduke.com:2525/