Thanks Alexander--

I now have developer tools installed along with a gcc update.
With respect to 'apt-get knows nothing about the unstable tree', I
uncommented the line 'deb file:/sw/fink unstable' line in /sw/etc/apt,
which seems like a reasonable thing to do.

However, apt-get update then gives me a message as shown below,
and requests that I run apt-get update.  Fink selfupdate and fink index
have already been successful run at this point.  I am sure there is
something simple I need to do, but I am unable to find it in the
documentation.  Any suggestions?

Jonathan

Err file: local/main Packages
  File not found
Ign file: local/main Release
Err file: stable/main Packages
  File not found
Ign file: stable/main Release
Err file: stable/crypto Packages
  File not found
Ign file: stable/crypto Release
Err file: unstable/main Packages
  File not found
Ign file: unstable/main Release
Err file: unstable/crypto Packages
  File not found
Ign file: unstable/crypto Release     ....

Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages  File
not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages  File
not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages  File
not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages  File
not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/unstable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages
File not found
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/main Packages
(/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_main_binary-darwin-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/crypto Packages
(/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_crypto_binary-darwin-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/main Packages
(/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_main_binary-darwin-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/crypto Packages
(/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_crypto_binary-darwin-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
[

 > Hi all,
 >
 >  I am trying to install some unstable packages, and followed the
 > instructions on the fink home page, but ran into problems.
 >
 >  'fink selfupdate-cvs' leads to comments ending in the following
 >
 >  fink-0.19.0/VERSION
 >  make test
 >  Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at
 > /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/Services.pm line 190.
 >  ### execution of make failed, exit code -1
 >  Failed: compiling fink-0.19.0-1 failed

 <AKH>  You don't have the Developer Tools installed

 >  Also following these steps
 >  >If you want Fink to use all of unstable, edit /sw/etc/fink.conf, add
 > >unstable/main and unstable/crypto to the Trees: line, and then run
 > fink >selfupdate; fink index.
 >
 >  leads me to things like the following
 >
 >  [~]% sudo apt-get install dhcp
 >  Reading Package Lists... Done
 >  Building Dependency Tree... Done
 >  E: Couldn't find package dhcp

 <AKH> apt-get knows nothing about the unstable tree

 >  so it is clear fink is not seeing the unstable tree.
 >
 >  I am running Max OS 10.2.8
 >  [~]% fink -V
 >  Package manager version: 0.16.0
 >  Distribution version: 0.6.2.cvs
 >
 >  Any help would be much appreciated!!
 >  Jonathan

Jonathan Lilly                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Université Pierre et Marie Curie      Tel: 33 1 44 27 49 69
Tour 45/55, 5 ème étage, boîte 100    Fax: 33 1 44 27 38 05
4 place Jussieu                       US Fax: (530) 678-5835
75252 Paris cedex 05