On Mar 16, 2004, at 10:34 AM, David Bell wrote:

At 10:28 am -0500 16/3/04, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:
On Mar 16, 2004, at 10:22 AM, David Bell wrote:

At 9:59 am -0500 16/3/04, Lloyd Budd wrote:
On 16-Mar-04, at 9:38, David Bell wrote:

I have a new installation of Fink running on Mac OSX 10.2.8 which appears to have installed correctly. But it's only listing 37 packages which all seem to be part of OSX and 35 of them are already installed. No matter what I've tried I can't get a list of additional packages that are available via Fink. I was planning to stick to binaries initially but I haven't got any further with obtaining source listings either.

I did have an old installation if Fink (v 0.4.1 as I recall) which I had thought I'd removed prior to the new installation. If that is the cause I don't know how to proceed.

I've also currently only got GCC 3.1 installed. But as I'm planning to just work with binaries for the time being I'm not sure if that's relevant to this problem - or is it?

No, your thought is correct: binaries don't care about the existence of any compiler.

Did you installed from binary or from source? What commands have you tried running since installation?

Installed from binary. As far as i can see the correct steps should be the Binary->Update Descriptions menu options in FinkCommander which returned:

Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/release/main Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/release/main Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/release/crypto Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/release/crypto Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/current/main Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/current/main Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/current/crypto Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/current/crypto Release
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...

followed by File->Update Table which didn't change anything.

What version of the "fink" package manager does Fink Commander list?

The entry for Fink reads:

status name installed binary stable unstable category summary version
current fink 0.16.2-1 0.16.2-1 unknown The Fink package manager 0.16.2-1

There's a further entry for Fink pre-binding:

status name installed binary stable unstable category summary version
current fink-prebinding 0.4-1 unknown Tools for enabling prebinding in Fink 0.4-1

Regards

David Bell
Glasgow, Scotland

I'm not sure if this is just a Fink Commander problem, or if something else is awry. If you run the "dselect" utility in the terminal, and pick the Select option , do you show more packages as available?

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documentarian