On Mar 16, 2004, at 9:34 PM, Hal Robertson wrote:

I just downloaded and installed fink onto my OS 10.2.8
machine.  The post-installation process went smoothly.
 I ran fink scanpackages but it consistenly reports
that it, "Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file."

When I try to install anything, fink still says it
only knows about 50 packages, instead of the many
1,000+ listed on the fink site.

I've taken a run through fink configure and the
default settings look fine to me.  I havn't seen any
errors.  What else can I try to get my fink
installation to update its package list so I can start
installing other software?

thanks!

Hal

sudo /sw/bin/fink  scanpackages
Password: XXXXXXXX
Reading package info...
Updating package index... done.
Information about 50 packages read in 1 seconds.
dpkg-scanpackages
dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc override | gzip
dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages
dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc override |
gzip
dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages
dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc override |
gzip
dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages
dists/local/bootstrap/binary-darwin-powerpc override |
gzip
dists/local/bootstrap/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
[MACG4:/sw] %

This is to be expected. You only write entries to the Packages files if you run "fink scanpackages" after you have built some packages from source.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documentarian