Oops....here's what I get when I do it CORRECTLY:
[James-Coyles-iBook:~] jamescoy% ls -ld /private/tmp
drwxrwxrwt   9 root  wheel  306 May 22 21:45 /private/tmp

BTW, when I recreated the private directory in tmp, I was able to do a selfupdate-cvs, but that did nothing (see my other note) as far as rectifying the rmagic problems.