I assume that your modem is dropping (disconnecting) at a high rate which
prevents your downloading fink packages. Plug the USB modem into the USB
port on the left side. It it much more stable than the right USB port, and
you should eliminate the frequent line drops. Apparently this is a known
problem that Apple has not fixed, and possibly never will.
Please reply to the fink-beginners list.
HTH
Stan