Martin Costabel wrote:
> Robert T Wyatt wrote:
> []
>> On a dual-G5, I've got the same failure as Alexander, but without the
>> 2.3/2.5 mixture. Log is available:
>> http://reg066.reg.utexas.edu/~bentones/fink/scipy-py25-0.5.2-3.txt
> []
>>     from numpy.distutils.misc_util import get_path, Configuration,
>> dot_join
>> ImportError: cannot import name get_path
>
> This smells like a bug in numpy (=scipy-core).
>
> Checking sources: Indeed, in version scipy-core-py25_1.0.3-1, they
> have renamed the "get_path" function to "get_path_from_frame",
> apparently without documenting it. In their own
> numpy/doc/DISTUTILS.txt file, the function is still mentioned as
> "get_path", as it used to be called in the older version
> scipy-core-py25_1.0.1-1. And scipy (which is developed by the same
> guys!) still uses the old name. I wonder how they manage to compile
> their stuff.

Martin:  Thanks for catching this - patching the setup.py files to use
get_path_frame instead of get_path fixes this one.

> That's weirder than ordinary freetype2 compatibility-breaking
> weirdness. It borders on gnomeishness ;-)
>
> Here is the svn log entry which introduced the breakage in
> numpy/distutils/misc_utils.py, in case someone wants to take this up
> with the numpy developers:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/3796

I agree, it's very weird.  Weirder still, it's not the only problem.

I was waiting for the scipy folks to make a new release compatible with
numpy 1.0.3, but maybe I should just update the package from an svn
snapshot (which seems to work).

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449