Hello, Jeffry. sw_vers is a program located under the /usr/bin
directory (folder). This file is part of Mac OS X; please check if it
exists on your system and if your PATH environment variable points to /
usr/bin. You may use the two following commands to help you diagnose
your problem:

ls -l /usr/bin/sw_vers
echo $PATH

What Alex meant with regard to Perl 5.8.9 is that:

a) Mac OS 10.6 comes with two versions of Perl: 5.10.0 *and* 5.8.9. /
usr/bin/perl is Perl 5.10.0 and, as one would expect, /usr/bin/
perl5.8.9 is Perl 5.8.9. Both of them are installed by Mac OS; they
are not part of or installed by Fink.

b) We've had reports that FinkCommander on Mac OS 10.6 needs to be
configured to use /usr/bin/perl5.8.9 instead of /usr/bin/perl (which
is 5.10.0). As explained in

http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/news

'(...) must set FinkCommander's Perl path to /usr/bin/perl5.8.9 in the
Preferences window'.

--
monipol
http://finkers.wordpress.com

Submitting a Fink bug report? Read this:
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/netiquette/index.php
http://finkers.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/bug-reports/