This likely stems from Apple dropping their own JDK/JRE release in favor of
using Oracle's.  As such the packages are a bit different.  On my system
there is only the link from Current to A in
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

As such I'm guessing the Java version detection failed.  To get around this
issue I simply created the older style symbolic links:

After that the 'fink-virtual-packages' command recognized the java and
proceeded normally.

Hope this helps.

-- Shawn