Max Horn wrote:

> I wonder if there is any reason why we should keep the xfree86-server
> package? Granted, it's supposed to be a "stable" base compared to
> rootless, but rootless runs rock stable for me, too.

I would even go further and claim there is no need for separate base and
server packages. Right now you have to download the 50MB sources twice.
If I am not mistaken, the sources for the base package are from June
2001 and those for rootless from December, so it is rather surprising
that this mixture is working at all.

I am not speaking from experience, because I always use system-xfree86
and compile xfree86 from the cvs sources. But from various error
messages on the lists I get the impression that the present xfree86
packages are not working too well. The cvs sources are pretty bug-free
at the moment, so a snapshot taken right now should be usable for the
whole fink xfree86 package (but don't call the tarball stored at
sourceforge "snapshot"; this doesn't sound stable enough for some).