On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 03:33 AM, Max Horn wrote:

> At 0:46 Uhr -0600 18.01.2002, Ken Williams wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I apologize if this question is answered somewhere in the archives,
>> but I couldn't find it (aside - is there a searchable archive
>> somewhere?  The one at geocrawler doesn't seem to be searchable).
>>
>> I'm packaging up some code that has a couple .texi documentation files
>> that should get installed as docs.  I'm not very familiar with the
>> .texi format, but I believe they need to be processed by 'makeinfo'
>> into info-files.  Is there a field in the .info file that facilitates
>> this?  I couldn't find one on
>> http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/packaging/reference.php .
>>
>> I tried listing the .texi files (and later, the .info files) in the
>> InfoDocs field, but when I issue 'fink install' I get a "no such file
>> or directory" error.  Clearly I'm misunderstanding the process.
>
> InfoDocs is meant for installing the (texinfo, not fink) .info files
> only. These get build by makeinfo from the .texi source files.
> Normally, for any given package, their build system should do that
> automatically. If for this package, the upstream maintainers didn't do
> that, you'll just have to call makeinfo manually from your
> compilescript.

For some reason I still can't figure it out.

There are *.info targets in the makefile, so I added a couple actions to
the compilescript.  Now my complete .info file looks like this:

Package: bow
Version: 20010926
Revision: 1
Maintainer: Ken Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Source: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mccallum/bow/src/bow-20010926.tar.gz
Homepage: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mccallum/bow
License: LGPL

DocFiles: README ChangeLog HACKING INSTALL NEWS TODO
InfoDocs: libbow.info rainbow.info
Patch: %f.patch

CompileScript: <<
  CPPFLAGS='-traditional-cpp -I%p/include' ./configure %c
  make
  make libbow.info
  make rainbow.info
<<

I verify during 'fink rebuild bow' that 'makeinfo' is indeed being
called and the .info files are getting created.  However, I still get an
error during
'fink install bow', here is the output:

[junior:lib/fink/mirror] ken% fink install bow
sudo /sw/bin/fink install bow
Reading package info...
Information about 268 packages read in 3 seconds.
dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/local/main/binary-darwin-
powerpc/bow_20010926-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 13787 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bow 20010926-1 (using
.../bow_20010926-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
install-info: no entry for file `libbow.texi'.
install-info: no entry for file `rainbow.texi'.
Unpacking replacement bow ...
Setting up bow (20010926-1) ...
install-info: read < /sw/share/info/libbow.info: No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing bow (--install):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
  bow
### dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package bow-20010926-1