On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 06:00 PM, Max Horn wrote:

> At 17:54 Uhr -0400 16.04.2002, Kyle Moffett wrote:
>>>
>>> "fink selfupdate-cvs"
>>>
>>> It's already there. All essential packages (including Fink) are
>>> automaticall updated if you run it
>>>
>>> Also, binary distro doesn't involve the Fink package manager at all,
>>> hence such a field as you propose wouldn't do anything with regards
>>> to the bindist. And there is no need for it either, since the "new
>>> binaries" work fine with the "old" package manager.
>>
>> I think you misinterpreted my idea, let me try to rephrase it:
>>
>> Let's say that we need a new tag 'Foo:' for some packages.  The tag is
>> made, added to pm cvs and everything is OK.  The problems come when
>> somebody using unstable cvs packages tries to install a package using
>> that tag.  At the moment fink will fail with some weird error
>> (Depending on the tag and its purpose).
>
> Well, if they do it the right way (using fink selfupdate-cvs), then
> Fink will already be updated! Fink is usually no more than a couple of
> days in unstable only. And in any case, if you mess with unstable, you
> bear the risks.

Yes, but it is sometimes a week or two when new features are in cvs but
not available as a package.  fink selfupdate-cvs only updates from the
/fink/packages tree in cvs.  The /fink/fink tree is ignored.

>>  I was suggesting that instead, all packages needing features not
>> present in the latest released package manager could be identified by
>> 'Depends: fink-cvs (>= #date#)' or 'NeedsFinkCVS: #date#'.
>
> We do this already, though with BuildDepends.

Yes, but if it depends on features only available in cvs, the versioning
fails.  Some packages might need a newer version of fink, but if the
version isn't available as a tarball, it cannot be obtained except by
the cvs tree /fink/fink.

>>   Then Fink could by default ignore packages in CVS (stable or
>> unstable) that have a non-cvs version or a cvs version older than
>> #date#.  Then an optional tag could be set in fink.conf for developers
>> and beta testers.  This tag would tell Fink to ask the developer if
>> they want to update the fink pkg manager from cvs on the detection of
>> such a package.
>
> Well, why?
>
> a) developers should also use fink selfupdate-cvs

Yes, but selfupdate-cvs does not upgrade the package manager version
that is still in cvs.  This is not a very long time, but occasionally I
see mails asking why a package errors out with new tags that should work
or some new feature doesn't seem to exist (Because the developer/beta
tester didn't update the pkg manager from cvs.)

> b) developers that don't use it should be clever enough to know a new
> Fink PM might be needed (like by the announce mails on the mailing list)

Yes, but as I mentioned above, sometimes features are in cvs for a while
before being tarballed and released.  Beta testers would have an easier
time if they could use fink to update to the latest cvs version

> c) most developers seem to use unstable anyway

Well, yes, but there is the problem, some get confused when new packages
don't work because of missing Fink PM features

> d) the package already builddepend on fink >= Foo-Bar

Yes, but if the fink features are not in any released version (0.9.9,
etc.) then they cannot currently be depended on.

> So what would we gain? So far I see nothing. Why should Fink tell the
> user explicitly to please update fink, when it does so automatically
> anyway (remember, FInk is an essential package, it's updated
> automatically).

Yes, but only if a new tarball and package file have been released.  If
the features are only in the cvs, then they are not automatically
updated.

Kyle Moffett