Jeremy Erwin wrote:
[]
> relevant .m4 file to see if there's an error. Here's the autoconf-2.13
> version. (/sw/share/autoconf/acspecific.m4)

There is no such file in autoconf25. The closest is probably
/sw/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4 which contains

if test -z "$CPP"; then
  AC_CACHE_VAL([ac_cv_prog_CPP],
  [dnl
    # Double quotes because CPP needs to be expanded
    for CPP in "$CC -E" "$CC -E -traditional-cpp" "/lib/cpp"
    do
      _AC_PROG_PREPROC_WORKS_IFELSE([break])
    done
    ac_cv_prog_CPP=$CPP
  ])dnl
  CPP=$ac_cv_prog_CPP
else
  ac_cv_prog_CPP=$CPP
fi

The result of this is that CPP is taken as "cc -E", which does not work
for opendx. The "cc -E -traditional-cpp" that is chosen in autoconf-2.13
is working. But this is more or less by accident. Maybe hard wiring the
working version of CPP would be a good idea.

I understand that running all the auto* stuff beforehand and casting the
result in a patch file is not practical here due to the huge size of
opendx, but doing it for some critical parts that are likely to vary
with different versions of automake/autoconf might be not too hard.