Here's my opinion about this:

1) We are offering users the option of system-xfree86 or system-xtools.  So
it only makes sense that we need to make sure that the Fink package works
exactly like the system-xfree86 package.

2) There are only a few other system-foo packages, and in each case we need
to make a similar effort.  For example, we have system-tetex and so I have
not modified the tetex package to build shared libraries, because the
external-to-fink tetex distribution does not have shared libraries.

3) In fact, in my shared libraries project, I've been treating XFree86 as
a special case... there is not a need to split the shared libraries off into
a separate fink package because there won't be a separate package like
that in the case of system-xfree86.

So what should we do?

Step 1: Help Justin fix whatever packages he was building, to use the
static rather than the shared libraries.

Step 2: create revision 6 of the xfree86-base package, which goes back
to static libraries.

Step 3: create revision 2 for whichever kde packages have linked to the
shared libraries in the binaries.

Step 4: rebuild binaries where necessary.

Step 5: if this becomes a big problem for users, issue fix-fink version 2
which would test for libXinerama.dylib and the other one, and tell users
they should upgrade if a link to that lib is present.

  -- Dave