The lesstif discussion reminded me that I should point out some
important changes that are coming soon for XFree86. The XonX project
will be releasing a bug fix update soonish to XFree86 from the 4.2
branch. In addition to fixing a few crashing bugs and adding Jaguar
compatibility, it will also revert libXt to a flat-namespace image.
When this becomes available, you will likely want to move the Fink
distribution to using it.

After having some time to look at this issue in more detail it is
clear that libXt will never work properly with two-level namespace
binding semantics. The Fink approach of using -force_flat_namespace
will continue to work, but it will not be needed after the update.
Keeping libXt as a two-level namespace image forced every application
that used libXt to link _all_ their libraries as flat namespace
images, even though only libXt needs it. In addition it became
obvious that there were subtle problems in applications that used
libXt without -force_flat_namespace, even if they did not fail as
dramatically as lesstif.

I think that only libXt consistently relies on the kind of binding
semantics that make two-level namespace a problem, but please let me
know if you think there are other X libraries that might need to be
make flat. Hopefully when XFree86 4.3 release gets close we can move
Fink's unstable XFree86 package to using the release candidate
libraries so we don't have another surprise like the libXt-lesstif
problem.

--Torrey