Thanks Ben,
Ok, this helps a bit, and I have another question.

It turns out fink wasn't installing the conffile because I had manually
removed it myself, and I guess it was still expecting it to be present.
Once I purged (the manually rm'd file) using "sudo dpkg --purge
antiword" fink is now installing it from the package again.

My new question is, when I upgraded 'upclient' a while ago it prompted
me about the existing /sw/etc/upclient.conf file, whether to install
the maintainer's version or not. Fink renamed my existing one to
'upclient.conf.dpkg-old', which is cool. I'd like this to happen with
the antiword package too rather than just skip installing it, so the
user can compare the old and new config files (fontinfo) in case there
any changes.

I feel kind of silly now because I can't get an uninstall & (re)install
of upclient to do this anymore to look at exactly how it works. So if a
conf file already exists, under what conditions will fink prompt the
user about installing/backing up the conf file?

Thanks,
Carsten