Cyrille Artho wrote:
> Hi,
> when I try
> fink selfupdate
> there is a smaller bug and a critical error:
>
> 1) Bug: I first get an error message "LATEST-FINK" already exists,
> delete/continue/skip. This should not appear, because that file should
> always be overwritten.
>
> 2) CRITICAL: Then fink tries to download
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/packages-0.4.1.tar.gz
>
> Unpacking gives the error "gzip: stdin: not in gzip format".
> The reason is that the URL is redirected to an HTML page which shows a
> list of mirrors!

The solution is on the fink site, under "older news", "bindist moved".
You first need to correct the sourceforge URLs in
/sw/etc/apt/sources.list. What should work is (from the fink web page):

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install apt

Then you can do fink selfupdate.

> This new sourceforge setup (which I personally do not like much, I would
> prefer a redirection based on the IP address) breaks fink totally. I don't
> know the easiest way to fix it, though.
>
> I could not use the bug tracker because I have no account there and no
> cookies enabled either, so I could not log in.

The "bug" you are reporting has been known for a long time. The real bug
here is that the instructions have not yet been adapted to the kind of
situation you are in, namely trying to upgrade directly from 0.4.0 to
0.4.1. Seems nobody could imagine that people are still using the 0.4.0
bindist from last April without having updated anything in the meantime.