jeff whitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi folks:  I'm getting ready to add a python-2.2.2 package to CVS.  Some
> time back, I was asked to add a two-level namespace python shared library
> (/sw/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.dylib) because koffice apparently
> wouldn't build without it.  Now this means than in order to conform to
> policy I must add a python-shlibs splitoff, with an "Shlibs" field. I'm
> unsure what the right way to do this is.  libpython2.2.dylib has an
> install name of /sw/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.dylib and a
> compatibility version of 2.2.  Python updates are usually incompatible
> between minor versions (i.e. libpython2.2 will not work with
> libpython2.3).  Does this mean that I'll have to make python2.2 and
> python2.3 packages when python-2.2.3 is released?  I know I went over this
> with Dave before, but I can't seem to remember what the answer was.

Hi Jeff.  I had been playing with a possible splitoff version of python
for you, and I've now put it in my experimental tree.

Basically, in this case I think we can do things a bit differently because
the python folks are keeping files for different versions in directories
with different names.  Here's my strategy:

  1) We already have python21 (for people who needed an old version)
  2) I created python22 and python22-shlibs, which have all of the
     files in the *except* the small number of files (main executable
     and man page) which don't have 2.2 somewhere in their full path
  3) I created "python" as a splitoff of python22 which contains the
     main executable and man page.

Later, you would create python23 which has python23-shlibs and python as
splitoffs.  Since the version number of python got bigger (it matches
the version number of the parent package), people will see their main
executbale replaced by the new version unless they explicitly ask for
python-2.2.x, and in that case they would get the python22 executable.

The shilbs is still splittoff, so that somebody who only needs the
shared libraries to remain because other things link to them is not
forced to cary the entire python22 package along for the ride.

I also made python22-nox, with splitoffs python-nox and
python22-nox-shlibs.

You can find these in the CVS module experimental/dmrrsn.

  -- Dave