On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 06:55 PM, Max Horn wrote:

As an maybe interesting sidenote, on my system that is cleanly bootstrapped with the modified fink from CVS, I do not get any prebinding-warning messages anymore... can anybody confirm/deny this?
Not sure about that, but...

Also I found this in the ld man page, it looks very useful, too:

-prebind_allow_overlap
  Have  the  static linker, ld(1), prebind the output
  even if the addresses of the dynamic  libraries  it
  uses  overlap.   The resulting output can then have
  redo_prebinding(1) run on it to fix up the prebind-
  ing  after  the  overlapping dynamic libraries have
  been rebuilt.  This option can also be specified by
  setting    the    environment    variable   LD_PRE-
  BIND_ALLOW_OVERLAP.
Yeah, I experimented with this a bit, but it's not terribly useful for what we're doing. We talked about it on #opendarwin a bit and what turns out it's really for is prebinding stuff that gets stripped afterwards. It'll be too big at link time, but will fit into the segment after stripping.

You still have to manually re-prebind it later, with update_prebinding, which is not automatic. You still need to provide a segment address, at which point it's just as easy to do it the right way the first time. =)