Max Horn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [for context: I just changed Engine.pm in CVS to use --info-dir
> instead of --infodir as argument to install-info, as I got repeatedly
> error reports by people which have /usr/bin before /sw/sbin in their
> PATH; thus for them the texinfo install-info was used, not the dpkg
> install-info we normally use. Problem is, the texinfo one doesn't
> support --infodir]
>
> At 16:45 Uhr -0500 11.11.2002, David R. Morrison wrote:
> >Max, haven't you substituted one problem for another with this change?
> >For a long time, we've used the dpkg version of install-info not the
> >texinfo one.  Will it accept the other syntax?  If not, you're creating
> >a situation where people will make debs that other people can't install...
>
> I guess you will know more about texinfo than I do (which is not much
> :-). see above for my motivation to make the change.
>
> Are the inputs/outputs of the two install-info's actually
> incompatible? If so, then a better "fix" would be to hardcode
> %p/sbin/install-info in the pre/postinstscripts. No problem to change
> this.

It looks like the inputs/outputs are not compatible.  I tested with the
gzip package, and /usr/bin/install-info wants to use a file /sw/share/info/dir
to index stuff but we don't have that file.  On the other hand,
/sw/sbin/install-info doesn't need that indexing file.

So I think this should be changed to hardode %p/sbin/install-info in
the two scripts, as you suggested.

  -- Dave