Sorry I spammed everyone with this and then worked out the problem myself, but if it saves anyone else a headache, apparently the new tcktk update broke python and a bunch of other stuff that depended on the dynamic library with the version number explicit. I forced a rebuild of python and now things work again with Tkinter, PMW, etc. and a few other programs that rely on tk which the update also broke.

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA