On vendredi, déc 13, 2002, at 07:55 Europe/Paris, Ben Hines wrote:

I noticed fink/dists is a symlink to the full path of 10.2:

ln -s /sw/fink/10.2 /sw/fink/dists

Wouldn't it be better to do:

ln -s 10.2 /sw/fink/dists

Then i wouldn't get confused when copying my fink installs around, when I cd into /swbackup/fink/dists and it goes to the other install's dists . :) Also it would probably increase performance a tiny bit somewhere (fewer paths to traverse in the link).
I agree. This bit me already once when I plugged in my backup firewire disk.

However, if /sw/fink/dists is there already and you run that command, it creates:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 ben staff 4 Dec 12 22:50 10.2 -> 10.2

in /sw/fink/dists.. so you should remove the current symlink before creating the new one in postinstall.pl. (looks like it already does that, anyway)
Always use "ln -nsf" instead of "ln -s".