Sorry I have no answer, I am wondering the same thing.

I recently run in this situation with a new package I am testing and found that ./configure does not see the getopt_long function of libgnugetopt even though it is installed, even with various -I cflags and -L ldflags no success.

For now I just BuildDepends on gengetopt and then copy /sw/share/gengetopt/* into the source dir during the PatchScript to replace the very old version of getopt included with the source.

Carsten